*

*

Friday, September 7, 2012

Chester County Criswell Quilt

 
Last Friday, I was lucky enough to be invited to an Antique Quilt Viewing in Melbourne.  This quilt was the feature quilt of the day.  Sharon is the owner of this quilt and it has been passed down through her family.  The quilt is a Bridal quilt, made for Mary Criswell of Chester County, Pensylvania in 1852 by her close friends and family.  Sharon is reproducing the quilt as a BOM and you can follow the progress, learn about the individual blocks and the people who made them and sign up to participate here.
 
 

 
We were able to view the quilt up close and personal and I was amazed at how precise each signature was - I don't think I would ever be able to write that small and neatly on fabric.
 
Another point I found interesting was the quilting.  Each block was quilted once each around the outside and inside of the applique with no extra quilting over the background, quite different to how things are done today.  Many thanks to Sharon for sharing her quilt with us and also a big thank you to Linda & Bev for organising such a wonderful day.
 
 **********
I have been sewing with a lovely group of ladies on Saturdays and at the beginning of the year we all had to name a quilt that we would have finished by the end of the year. I nominated "Phebe". I was feeling very confident seeing as Irish Circles was all but done and I wasn't going to let the 140 plus stars intimidate me - once I had the applique done, it would be a piece of cake - HA! I have just begun appliqueing the last border around the centre and I haven't even started a star....
 
 
The problem is that there are too many beautiful quilt patterns out there and I want to make them ALL.  I decided that I would make a couple of blocks from Irene Blanck's Floral Beauty pattern.  The trouble is that now I have started, I don't want to stop!!!  And because Quilts in the Barn is quickly approaching, I am inspired to make all the blocks in red and white.
 
**********
 Finally I want to say thank you to everyone who left a comment on my last post, it was a great comfort to me.
 
Sue-Anne xxx
 
 
 
 

17 comments:

Suedio said...

Sue-Anne, when you had to say which quilt you'd finish by the end of the year, did you have to say the end of which year??? :)

Go with what you're enjoying now, I say - and the red and white blocks are looking great!

Happy stitching, Sue

Shirley said...

The blocks look great and it will be a fabulous quilt. I know the feeling, have just been and looked at Irene's blog and quilts and there are a few that I could quite easily take a fancy to. Oh dear! The list is getting even bigger. I noticed the quilting. I suppose that makes life simple.

Wilma Kuin said...

The blocks look great!!! I love it!! Go with what you're enjoying now,....

Greetings en hugs from Holland,...

Heather said...

I love those floral blocks. I too keep getting distracted with new starts and though I have everything ready to begin Phebe it is still not begun. Oh we'll, someday....

Brandie said...

All your projects always amaze me! Your colors are just perfect!
Thanks for the info on that antique quilt. I'm going to go look and try not to get sucked into another project!

Jossie said...

The antique quilt is so beautiful. A real treasure.
Poor Sue-Anne you are exactly like all other quilters. Always creating and always creating your own problems. There are so many pretty patterns around that it is difficult to be firm with yourself. Luckily there are many more years to come with as many ends ;-)
Still love your clamshell quilt in the header.

Cardygirl said...

Gorgeous inspiration there...aah I love aspirational sewing...in my head I have 100 quilts all done...too much inspiration!

Julia said...

Love the antique quilt...so much inspriation and so many lovely designs out there, it's hard not to be tempted to start new things..
When you start something you love, you just want to keep going with it...that's me too!
Julia ♥

Terry said...

A wonderful opportunity to view the wedding quilt and even more to know it's history.

Stitch what makes you HAPPY. Fabric doesn't go off. It will be there when your ready.

Elyte said...

Good to hear from you again.
I too have admired Floral Beauty and seen many beautiful versions. None purely in red and white though. Those blocks will make another beautiful quilt to add to your collection.

Siobhán said...

Oh my goodness, what a stunning quilt! I grew up about 5 minutes from Chester County, where my LQS & LNS both are/were located, so I was there frequently.

Your blocks look great! Good luck with Phebe! You can do it. :)

Wendy said...

How wonderful to see that quilt in person. Your blocks look great, I have the same problem. I want to make it ALL.

Daniëlle said...

Love the block you've made! Yep, difficult to choose from all those goodies that are around! Not always easy to just sit, stitch and enjoy whilst your mind is working on another quilt already hihihi!!! Hang in there!! Happy sewing, hugs, Daniëlle Thanks for the pic of the antique quilt! It is absolutely lovely! XXXD

Sew Create It - Jane said...

That quilt is stunning...I don't think I'd manage to write so neatly on paper...let alone fabric!

Sandra Henderson said...

SO beautiful!~ I came by to say hello and let you know that I am back in blogland. XO

mary-myneedlethead.blogspot.com said...

Hi Sue Anne, I love your Irish Circles, where do you get that pattern...I have tried all over the States and I can't seem to find it...really beautiful work
Hugs always, Mary

Irene Blanck said...

Hi Sue-Ann
Glad you have your photos of your red and white Floral Beauty - the photos i took didn't turn out well. Its so different to mine and so very lovely. Can't wait to see it completed.

Irene